Tuesday 27 May 2014

World Cup Round Three - Nove Mesto, Czech Republic

The past week was all leading up to 9am Sunday morning, when the gun would go and the U23 race was underway. I was determined to get a solid result that I could build on for Albstadt next weekend and I had three weeks to prepare for it with two smaller races and plenty of time to get over the jetlag. Having raced this course in 2012 I knew it was not going to be a walk in the park, with 152 riders all wanting a top 50.


I started 15th on the grid and the start loop was longer than normal with plenty of places to move or lose position at the front of the field. I came through after the start loop in the top 25 but was fighting for every inch. As the race went on the field began to spread out and I was left trying to keep my laps fast but consistent. Watching Dan McConnell later that afternoon go faster and faster each lap is something I aspire to do.



The bell sounded with a lap to go and I was hovering somewhere around 50th position. I was using every climb to the max, going as hard as I could while trying to remain as smooth and in control as I could on the descents and technical features. I crossed the line in 50th position and was the first of the four Aussies home.

A huge thanks to all my sponsors, family and friends. Looking forward to the next round of the World Cup series next weekend in Albstadt, Germany.

No comments:

Post a Comment